Coach profile- Susan Cheshire

Susan Cheshire


Tell us a bit about your swimming background

A competitive swimmer through to my late teens, I competed mainly over sprint distances and Individual Medley events.  I stopped swimming after university and got back in the pool after a ten-year break. What hit me the most when I started to swim again was how tiring I found swimming. My first experience of Total Immersion was at a weekend workshop 10 years ago and a light bulb went off.  I have both physically and mentally enjoyed re-learning how to swim; I only wish I knew then what I know now!

Tell us about your coaching

My main coaching role is as Head of Swimming at Bancroft’s School a co-educational school for 7 to 18-year-olds in Woodford, Essex.  Coaching a broad spectrum of swimmers from those learning to swim to County and National level competitors. My private coaching takes place at Bancroft’s and in central London. I love the variety of individuals I coach from competitive swimmers, triathletes, to long-distance open water and adult on-set swimmers.  

My main aim is for swimmers to understand and analyse their own stroke so  video analysis is a powerful tool; swimmers learn so much when they can see themselves swim. Video helps individuals improve their awareness and understanding of their body as it moves through the water.

What do you like about Total Immersion Swimming?

 It’s simplicity and progressive steps, giving you the knowledge and understanding allowing you to become your own best coach.  There is a reason for everything and that reason is backed up by science, everything directs you to great swimming. I’m yet to meet someone who hasn’t come to enjoy swimming as a result.  

What has been your favourite swim?

 In 2019 I organised Bancroft’s first open water swimming trip; a week of swimming in Montenegro. Swimming alongside the pupils was an incredible experience, having known the swimmers for 9 years and teaching many of them to swim, the achievements and confidence they gained during the trip was absolute magic and has lasted well beyond the trip. It was a real privilege to share that with them, so many highlights - Lake Skadar, Moraca River, the Blue Grotto - so I’ll have to say the whole week was my favourite swim! Loved the Henley Marathon too.

 What is the most exciting thing you have coming up?

 Turkey 2021 with the next group of pupils keen to take their swimming out of the pool and go on a swimming adventure, as I get older and the pupils get faster that gives me something to work on!

 
www.susancheshire.co.uk
swim@susancheshire.co.uk

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Water quality 101 - by Salka Hintikka

Embracing the spirit of Kaizen

Swimmer profile - Tony Bray - swimming challenges and the Channel!