Swimmer profile - Chris Markham - triathlete and long-distance open water swimmer


How long have you been swimming? How did you get into it, what you like about it, what motivates you?

Well, difficult to say because it would probably be forever. I was born in California where everyone has a pool – yes really – so was in the water from a very early age.

I began my triathlon career back in1996. I started to train with a local club, where it became very obvious very quickly that I stood out from the group, at least as a swimmer. Swimming was clearly my strongest discipline and I raced regularly until a skiing accident in 2003 ended it (or so I thought). It wasn’t until 2007 that I really felt strong enough to begin running again. I did the Great North Swim (2 miles) in 2013, at the time the longest outdoor swim I had completed. In 2016 I finally took the plunge and decided to re-dedicate myself to the sport and although I had (I thought) good swim technique I decide to approach a coach and get my swimming looked at properly.

What made you go for technique lessons and how did you discover TI?

I’d be lying if I said I chose TI over another “system” for anything other than circumstantial reasons. I had heard of TI which helped and when I was searching for a coach, one of the potential “candidates” was in addition to being a triathlon coach, also a TI coach. What I had thought I wanted was someone to plan and oversee my programme, but having a TI coach on hand gave me the added incentive to have my stroke looked at. I have not regretted that decision for one second!

What do you like about TI?

In a word, simplicity. I need to know that when I am doing something that there is a reason, a purpose for doing so, otherwise, I probably won’t do it. I liked the drills and the way the technique builds into a complete article.

What has it done for your swimming? What’s different?

Wow, big things! Firstly, I think it is worth saying that today – at the age of 62, I swim as fast (if not faster) than I did at the age of 40. This is all down to the changes TI has made to my stroke. I not only swim quickly but I do so with what feels like so little effort that I am able to sustain it over distances I could never have imagined previously.

What do you like about it and what’s a challenge?

The challenge is maintaining focus and what I like about TI is the way it has helped me do that. I never just swim now, I always have a purpose, even if that purpose is just …. “swim for 90 minutes non-stop”. I am always thinking about my stroke, my pace, my timing, my balance in the water, my head position. 

What is your proudest swimming-related achievement?

I think there are two things that sit together as very proud moments both from 2019. In June I did the Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon, a big bucket list event. The swim is a really daunting challenge, but I was so up for it I couldn’t wait to get started. I did it in 30 minutes (2 miles – with help from the current), which placed me around 200th the field, and 2nd in my age group. Similarly, and this really is a direct result of TI and the energy saving changes in my stroke, I did the Chill Swim Coniston in September. This is around 5.25 miles, easily the longest swim I have ever attempted. I finished 2nd (again) in my age group, but felt like I could have turned around and gone back!

What are your favourite swim sessions and why?

I don’t have a favourite; every session is different, and I get my pleasure from the difference and sense of purpose they give me.

What are your least favourite training sessions and can you share any tips for getting through them?

Everyone hates speed work, am I right? I get through them, again because they come with a sense of purpose. They are a means to an end. Eyes on the prize; if you don’t do the work, you don’t get the benefits.

What are the biggest challenges that you face being a swimmer and what tips do you have for dealing with them?

I don’t feel I know how to answer this because since I started receiving coaching, following the TI method, I really don’t feel that anything is out of reach. I’m very lucky to have huge support from my wife, who encourages me at every step and is always there cheering me on. The worst challenge recently has been keeping some level of fitness while being denied the opportunity to swim. Now that outdoor swimming is available, I’m back in the water and really pleased that I seem to already be back to full fitness.

What is your funniest moment in swimming?

Chill Swim Coniston – I said above I came second – I didn’t, I won my age group. However, instead of crossing the finish mat, I stopped to hug my wife, cost me nearly a minute and I was beaten into second by 9 seconds as a consequence – oh how we laughed!

How have you grown as a simmer in the last few years?

Confidence in a word. I really don’t think that any challenge is now out of reach and I do put that all down to the benefits I have gained from the TI method. Economy of effort and increased pace mean I feel like I can swim forever! At Coniston last summer I did the whole swim non-stop. Two and a half hours, easy peasy!

What are your future ambitions and dream goals?

Here’s the thing, I really don’t know. My future ambitions are to keep at it. After Ullswater this year the plan was to aim to do Windermere in 2021. Beyond that, who can say, I think I’d like to have a go at swimming the English Channel maybe, but would like to perhaps be part of a relay team in the first instance before a full solo attempt.

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Water quality 101 - by Salka Hintikka

Embracing the spirit of Kaizen

Swimmer profile - Tony Bray - swimming challenges and the Channel!